Technology is a product of certain scientific theories and processes. It is often employed to solve one problem or another and it has effectively been doing so for many centuries. One of such is the microwave we use almost on a daily basis at home. It has come in very handy when we need to heat up foods or even prepare a certain food. If you have once popped your plate in and wondered what exactly is the science behind the microwave producing the heat we use in processing our food, this post is for you. Find out how the microwave heats food, how to use it, what to look out for when choosing the best microwave with a high heat power, and of course, 4 of the best microwave recommendations of 2021.
How Does A Microwave Produce Heat?
Cooking is made possible on microwaves by the production of friction between the water molecules of the food. The molecules are made to move as they do so, and the friction leads to the generation of heat. This friction generates heat which cooks or warms our food.
When it is switched on the microwave releases electromagnetic radiations. The level of exposure to radiation is dependent on the frequency that is set by the user and it can be adjusted to suit their need.
The microwave uses heat energy to warm and heat up our food. There are many ways to generate heat energy especially for food preservation and heating up, but using a microwave is more efficient and fast.
It would interest you to know that microwave technology is used in many other areas such as wireless networks, satellite communication, cancer treatment, remote sensing, among others. The microwave uses radioactive energy to affect a substance and in the case of the microwave, it leads to heat generation.
How Does The Microwave Heat Food?
The radioactive energy generated in your microwave can cause the movement of food particles. The effect of this movement is friction which produces heat. The frequency that is set by the user will determine how fast this movement will be and how much heat will be generated by the friction.
Normally, all substances whether food or water, have molecules that are in motion. The molecules are made to move faster in a microwave when it is turned on, and as they move they collide with one another and create the heat that cooks or warms your food in the microwave.
Microwave has proved effective for preparing foods such as macaroni, cheese, Barbeque chicken, popcorn, cookies, among others. And of course, it is great for heating up leftover foods, defrosting frozen foods and even dehydrating certain foods for preservation.
Is Microwave Heat Safe For Us (our food/health)?
For direct contact with the skin for long, microwave heat is not all that safe. It can heat the body tissue the same way it heats our food. Have it in mind that exposure to high levels of microwaves heat can cause a painful burn.
For heating foods, they are not harmful. Foods that are heated/cooked in a microwave are quite safe and would give you the same nutrient value as cooking on other heat sources. People say that heating foods in the microwave can cause cancer; there is no proven research that shows a link between the use of microwave and the development of cancer in the body. However, I would recommend that you try to avoid microwaving your foods in plastic plates as some of them are not safe and may cause chemicals to leak into your food. This is because heat can cause the BPA and Phthalates in your plastic container to leak into your food; these components are far from healthy for your skin. It’s better to heat/cook your foods in the microwave using a good microwave-safe glass or container.
Steps on how to heat food in the microwave
Although microwave functions with a complex system that relies on technology, it is very simple to use for diverse purposes. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to heat your food in the microwave:
Before putting your food in the microwave for heating, spread it out evenly on a microwave-safe plate to enable uniform heating. After spreading it out, you can then put it in the microwave.
If the plate has no lid, cover the food with a damp paper towel to ensure steam is generated easily to heat your food.
Go ahead and switch the microwave on. The steam that comes as a result of the damp paper towel will ensure that moistures are not lost while heating the food.
While your microwave is on and heating your food, stir it from time to time to ensure that the heat is going round and there’s even heating of the food. This is important because your microwave has its hottest spot which will produce more heat.
What happens when my microwave does not heat?
Some factors can make your microwave not to heat your food. It can happen suddenly after a period of use and in a few unlucky cases, it may not heat right from the first day you purchase it.
When your microwave does not heat your food anymore, one or more of the following could be responsible for that:
- A high voltage that ought to power the magnetron which helps to produce the waves that induce heat production can make your microwave turn on but not heat. The inability of your microwave to heat is a result of a fault with the magnetron and apart from a high voltage. Other factors can make it to malfunction too.
- A technical part of the microwave has gone bad, spoilt or probably burnt. For this reason, your microwave may have lost an important component that could make it produce heat for your food.
- Your electricity current is way too low and cannot power your microwave enough to produce the heat/energy that can warm/cook your food.
- If your microwave is still new and you experience no heat production, maybe for the first time using it; it could be a factory problem or you may have gotten yourself a faulty microwave. If there’s a warranty on the microwave, you can still get a replacement.
A Buyer’s Guide To Choosing The Best Microwave In 2021
A microwave is not technically a luxury item but one of those necessary aspects of daily kitchen uses. Their unique role in food preparation, heating up and preservation can not be overemphasized. However, there are many things you should consider when you are looking at choosing the best microwave for your kitchen. The buyer’s guide below would definitely help you with that:
1. The size:
The size of your kitchen should determine your choice of a microwave. A microwave that is just the right size for your kitchen will make you derive much satisfaction from it. The size can also determine the quantity of food that can be put in at a time.
So, if you are looking for a good microwave that would take a good amount of food at once, you would need a big one. Also, you need to have enough space to carry a big one or else you will have to stick to a smaller one to fit into your kitchen well.
2. The Wattage or the microwave:
When opting for the best microwave, a wattage above 1000 watts is very essential. This will ensure that it performs the task expected efficiently without any limitation. Choose microwave brands with a high wattage compared to those with lower ones. The higher the watts the more heat it can generate and the faster it will do so. You don’t want one with low wattage and spend a long time heating up small foods.
3. Visible control panels:
Opt for a microwave that has a control panel you can see and use with ease. It should have one for noise and sound. Each panel should have a guide on it so that new users would know what each of them offers.
4. The price should be worth it:
Although many people want a high-quality microwave, they also want an affordable one. Even if the price is high, it should have other aspects such as shipping costs and deliveries a little bit subsidized. To consider the price of the microwave before purchasing, look at everything it offers. You can’t spend a lot of money on a microwave that’s missing on a few features. Make sure the price is worth the item before settling on it.
5. Its safety:
Apart from choosing brands of microwave that protect against shocks, you should consider a microwave that previous users have commended its safety. Check for reviews online about the particular type you want and see if people are giving it a safety thumbs-up. The guarantee of the manufacturer/seller is definitely not enough.
6. Its ease of use:
The microwave you get should be easy to use. There shouldn’t be a need for complex installation or technical operating. You néed one that will only cost you following simple instructions in the manual. Installation should be possible without professional assistance and operating it should just be as easy as pressing a few buttons or turning a few knobs. You do not want something that would make you spend minutes getting it to work before even having to get your plate in.
Trust me, you do not want a microwave that would stop working just after a few uses. Invest in a good microwave that is long-lasting, has a good warranty and that the brand is known for having great products. Your microwave is supposed to be strong enough to produce enough heat that would serve you well each time.
8. Your microwave should also have eco-friendly features no doubt.
Four Long-lasting Microwaves That Produce High Heat Power
No doubt you would want a good microwave that is long-lasting and can deliver high heat at each use. If you are looking for the best recommendations of high heat powered microwaves, I have got the best options for you.
The microwave is produced in America and it has many unique features that can meet your need for a convenient and efficient microwave. With a power capacity of 1100 watts, Brand Dacor can efficiently cook and heat a wide range of food. That is not all, there are some cool features about this particular brand which you will love.
- It has sensor modes that serve as an important purpose of helping to measure vapours which are the moisture and humidity. You can also have a sensor cook option which allows you to reheat food with ease.
- There is a blue led display-only frequency and wavelength that can differentiate micro-waves from blue lights. Blue lights are electrical and they serve the same purpose as micro-waves.
- These DMW24205 models also weigh 19.96 pounds which is ideal for your kitchen. It has this weight because it is made from stainless steel materials.
- The Dacor microwave is a countertop microwave, and as typical of most countertop microwaves, it is very easy to setup. There is no need for a complex installation because it is made for simple setup and also ease of use.
- YOu can choose to place it on a countertop or build it into your wall. Anywhere you choose to place it will work fine. It is sturdy enough and can sit comfortably anywhere.
So, if you have got enough countertop space in your kitchen and you are not up for complexities; then this Dacor stainless steel microwave is best for you. Head over to this link to be taken to the page on Amazon where you can find the product, full details and reviews about it.
The microwave has its unique features like smart sensors. It has got an interior that can be easily cleaned. There are ECO mode features available. And also, the sound can be turned on and off whenever you choose.
- It has 1100 Watts of power with a voltage of 120v-60Hz. This spec is ideal for a good electricity current and would provide enough heat for your food fast.
- The microwave has a kitchen timer, clock, power setting among others. You can read the large control panel as it is displayed digitally. This will enable you to safely use other controls without much difficulty.
- It is also made of stainless steel materials which are responsible for its lightweight.
- This one is made for ease of use and a user-friendly manual is attached to the microwave to guide you if you feel confused at any point.
- It is made to be used even in small spaces so if you don’t have a large kitchen but you still want to use a microwave, this brand has got you covered.
- Some control panels can be used to turn on or off the sound made by the microwave Sound is a factor that many microwave users look out for. The control panels are digital so you just need to touch them to get it done.
- It is also very easy to clean. The materials used for its exterior and interior are not difficult to clean and so are other parts of the microwave. It has a hard-wearing material that has made it scratch and stain-resistant.
- It can be used in food preparation for a wide range of food. You can enjoy it for simple cooking processes like heating, defrosting and fast foods. Simple recipes like potato, pasta, pizza, cookies, fresh and frozen vegetables etc, can be made using your microwave at home.
- The sensor of the microwave has multiple menu options and you can adjust the time and temperature while using it to suit your present needs.
- Its eco-features enable it to conserve energy and that is a deliberate effort by the company to promote environmental protection. And of course, the eco-mode saves energy consumption when it is in use.
- The lights of the microwave turn on while in use and go off when it is not used. This can help you know when your microwave is working and when it is not.
Looking for a large microwave that can carry a sizeable food container and not touch the sides of the interior? This one from Toshiba is your best bet. The microwave is very easy to use and has convenient control features that would make microwaving very easy for you. I like that it is a smart appliance which means it works with Alexa (a virtual assistant AI technology developed by Amazon), has humidity sensor and saves energy.
- The microwave has a hands-free operation as it is integrated with Alexa. By using an echo device, it brings convenience by allowing a smooth hands-free operation through voice command or app control.
- You can enjoy updating preset menus. The preset menus include 23 popular foods like popcorn, pizza, vegetable and more. Choosing a range of presets to try can be so much fun.
- There is a built-in humidity sensor to make usage a lot easier. The humidity sensor automatically adjusts the cooking power to achieve optimum heating and ensure your food is evenly cooked.
- You will also find a sound (on/off) function. This on/off button allows you to stop that beep when the cooking is done. A lot of people find this beeping annoying as it can disturb others in the house. So, they prefer something they can control. And this is what you get in this microwave.
- This Toshiba microwave has got energy-saving features which makes using it even all the more economical. It has a LED cavity light and energy-saving ECO mode which helps reduce energy consumption.
This microwave is a valuable kitchen asset and if you want to get good product value for money spent, click this to go to the product page on Amazon. There you can see more about it and also make a purchase.
The AmazonBasic Microwave produces sufficient heat to meet a wide range of needs. It is ranked as one of the most efficient, yet cheapest microwaves out there. It is designed to meet the needs of those who want a microwave that is as small as possible and can also work well while producing high heat. And of course, it has many other unique features that makes it very efficient to use.
- The AmazonBasics microwave can work with a voice command unlike the touch control system of other models by using its unique Alexa voice command feature. This feature is very cool and is one of the major reason why most people use it.
- It has a compact size that saves counter space; so you won’t bother about where to keep other kitchen items.
- The microwave has 10 power levels, a kitchen timer, a child lock and of course, a turntable. All these cool features make it all the more lovable by users
- If you do not prefer having a button or touch panel for your microwave, AmazonBasics is ideal for you. With a door handle that can be easily used by anyone and a cute look, this microwave is set to wow you at each use.
- Its heating capacity is 700 watts like most compact models. But trust me, the heat it produces can compete with some brands of microwave that have 1000 Watts capacity.
- Its size makes it even more unique. The size is portable enough to fit into small spaces so you won’t bother about having a good part of your kitchen been occupied by the microwave.
The microwave is cute and would add a good look and aura to your kitchen’s overall appearance. Not to mention that the voice control can save you the stress of getting up and going to manually press buttons. Click this link to be taken to the page on Amazon where you can see all you need to know about it and also get one for yourself.
I bet you better understand the science behind the microwave heating which is simply through the production of friction between the water molecules of the food.
Microwaves are known not only for their heat generation but for their unique features. People want efficient microwaves that will be easy to use and also last long without complaining about not heating. They also want one that is kitchen friendly and pose no hazards to them.
From this post, you can find useful points that offer a unique shopping guide for anyone who wishes to have certain features in a microwave. Although the products recommended here are largely based on their heat-power, they all have unique features that buyers often consider.