The traditional wooden or metal cookware has seen its replacement in homes in recent times, to Pyrex glass utensils due to the obvious advantages it possesses over the others. Its chemically inert nature ensures that no contaminant is mixed with your food.
Not to mention that it is also dishwasher safe and doesn’t retain residues like traditional cookware. It is common knowledge that a lot of questions have been asked over the years about the safety, usage and durability of Pyrex glassware in everyday activities, especially in the kitchen. In this post, I’ll be sharing with you some answers to some of your questions, a guide to choosing the best glassware and a review of the best 3 Pyrex glass utensils that are oven-safe and you can buy in 2021.
3 oven-safe pyrex glassware
In a hurry, let me just share with you the top 3 Oven-safe Pyrex glass utensils in 2021 right away:
|Product Name||Standout Feature||Price|
|6-piece Rectangle Pyrex Glass Food Containers with white plastic lids||can be used as a lunch box, food storage and baking dish.||Check Price on amazon|
|Pyrex 2-Piece Glass Bakeware Dish||durable, transparent for easy monitoring of baking progress.||Check Price on amazon|
|24-piece Pyrex glass food storage containers||provides a wide range of application and uses in the kitchen, from storing, packing, heating etc||Check Price on amazon|
Can Pyrex glass utensils be used Safely In The Oven Without Breaking?
Pyrex glass utensils are absolutely safe to use in the oven. Many users are confused about the safety and use of glassware utensils in the kitchen, especially the oven for fear of breakage or exploding glass.
However, breakage or damage is unlikely to occur if the manufacturer’s instructions on the particular utensil, especially Pyrex glassware, is followed accurately and in detail. To avoid any sort of damage or injury, precautions should be taken not to allow scratching or cracking of the glassware and also do well to store in a safe area.
Not only that Pyrex glass utensils are oven-safe, but they are also dishwasher safe, microwave-safe and still suitable for freezing. Try not to place a pyrex glass on a direct heat source, such as a gas or electric stovetop, in order for you to enjoy it for a long time. A pyrex dish can be placed directly into the oven, microwave and the refrigerator without any issues.
What Is A Pyrex glass?
Pyrex glass is a tempered glass used for most cooking wares. It is a brand introduced by coring Inc. in 1915 for a line of clear, low-thermal-expansion borosilicate glass used for laboratory glassware and kitchenware. Pyrex glass products are made up of borosilicate which composes of (as a percentage of weight): 4.0% boron, 54.0% oxygen, 2.8% sodium, 1.1% aluminium, 37.1% silicon and 0.3 potassium.
These brand of glasses are easy to clean and handle: and their nonporous construction resists stains and odours. Pyrex glasses that are used to produce cookware and bakeware are available in a range of sizes and styles, including casserole dishes with fitted lids for storage. The glass is very durable and resistant to chips and cracks but it can shatter if dropped onto a hard surface.
Beginning from 1980, the production of Pyrex glass shifted from the use of borosilicate to soda-lime glass which has a higher mechanic strength than that of the borosilicate, however, it has a lower thermal shock resistance than borosilicate Pyrex.
Due to its high temperature-resistant nature and resistance to scratching and high mechanical strength, Pyrex glassware has been used safely in a whole range of application from laboratory glassware to kitchen utensils.
Is Pyrex glass bowls oven-proof?
Most Pyrex glass bowls usually have a symbol at the bottom of the bowl to indicate whether it is oven-safe or not. Nevertheless, Pyrex glass bowls are specifically made to be used in the oven and can withstand oven temperatures. Hence, they are completely safe to use in as much that sudden change of temperature from hot to cold is avoided (thermal shock) and proper care and handling is observed.
The Different Types Of Pyrex Glass Utensils
There is a wide range of Pyrex glass utensils all used for various purposes and shapes. From glass bowls and plates to glass straws, spoons, sticks, measuring jugs etc.
The utensils vary according to their intended use from oven-baking to the heating of food; glass beakers for measurement in the laboratory or kitchen glassware or mugs.
And they are usually chosen for their resistance to heat and physical damages and we can definitely see why.
Is pyrex glass still as durable as it used to be?
There has been a lot of speculation recently about the durability of Pyrex glass today compared to the past. However, it is correct to say that Pyrex glass is still as durable and safe to use as ever before, even though the durability might be affected by when it was produced.
If your pyrex was produced before 1998, it was made with borosilicate materials which have high thermal shock resistance. After 1998, pyrex began to use soda-lime silicate glass instead of borosilicate. This switch of materials increases the mechanical strength of the glassware significantly according to the manufacturer but more susceptible to thermal shocking. While any glassware has a risk of breakage, Pyrex glassware has an exceptional safety record.
How To Safely Use A Pyrex Glass
Using glasses, in general, comes with some precautions one have to consider following so that their utensils don’t get damaged before long. For a pyrex glass which you want to use very often especially in the oven, a little extra care can go a long way in ensuring the lifespan of the glass is longer. Here are a few tips to help:
- You can ensure safety measures by pre-heating the oven before use to avoid uneven temperature and thermal shocking. In this case, thermal shock can cause the glass to expand and contract, causing the glass to shatter if the temperature change is extreme enough. This can be easily avoided when care is taken to avoid a sudden change of temperature of the glassware for example from hot to cold temperature and vice-versa
- Have it in mind too that it’s better to not hold a wet cloth to hot glassware and also avoid putting hot glassware in cold liquids immediately.
- If you turn off the oven, wait a few minutes for it to cool down before opening it to bring out the glassware. Remember that bringing it out from a hot temperature to a cold one almost immediately can cause damage.
- Being careful not to expose the glassware to other heat sources is an extra measure for safety.
- All Pyrex glassware is made to be safely used in the oven. Hence it is safe to use for oven purposes and shouldn’t bother you much. The oven must be preheated before inserting the glassware though.
- Avoid sudden temperature changes to glassware. DO NOT add liquid to hot glassware; place hot glassware on a wet or cool surface, directly on countertop or metal surface, or in the sink. Allow hot glassware to cool on a cooling rack, potholder or dry cloth. Be sure to allow hot glassware to cool as provided above before washing, baking, refrigerating or freezing.
- DO NOT use on or under a flame or other direct heat source, including on a stovetop, under a broiler, on a grill or in a toaster.
- Add a small amount of liquid which is sufficient to cover the bottom of the dish prior to cooking foods that may release liquid.
- Avoid handling hot glassware (including ware with silicone gripping surfaces) without dry potholders
- Avoid too much microwave/oven misuse, especially when not necessary.
- Try not to use glassware to microwave popcorn or foods wrapped in heat-concentrating material (such as special browning wrappers), heat empty or nearly empty glassware in microwave, or overheat oil or butter in microwave (which can use a minimum amount of cooking time).
- Handling your glassware without an appropriate degree of care could result in breakage, chipping, cracking or severe scratching. DO NOT use or repair any glassware that is chipped, cracked or severely scratched.
- DO NOT drop or hit glassware against a hard object or strike utensils against it to test their strength.
What Is A Safe Temperature For Pyrex Glassware?
Pyrex glass can withstand extreme temperature without causing damage. For normal use, it ranges from 446°F and to 914°F for maximum use. Great care should be taken into consideration when subjecting Pyrex glassware to heat sources. Open heat sources like electric or gas stovetop should not be used directly with the glassware. Not using it on direct heat will preserve the integrity of the glass. Furthermore, Pyrex glassware is manufactured to be suitable for a wide range of oven temperature, hence they are safe to use in most ovens.
How To Choose Oven-Safe Pyrex Glassware In 2021?
Choosing oven-safe Pyrex glassware comes down to carefully making the right choices when buying. A buyer’s guide to getting good glassware can come in very handy. When purchasing Pyrex glass utensils, you should examine the clarity, uniformity and shape of the glass to ensure you are getting the best quality. With that said, here are some general precautions to consider when using Pyrex glassware:
- Choosing a reputable brand such as pyrex that has made a name in the production of durable glassware is important and also taking extra care to confirm that the product you are purchasing is free from scratches, cracks, or breakage before use.
- Holding a piece against a solid-coloured surface check for colour impurities and other inconsistencies that could indicate weakness in the glass. This would avoid any unforeseen damages that might arise as a result.
- Furthermore, when making a purchase be sure to identify that the use of the glassware includes oven purposes, this is usually indicated at the bottom of the product or refer to the instruction manual.
Top 3 Pyrex Utensils That Are Safe For Oven To Buy In 2021
Clear glass Pyrex cookware is practically an American icon. With its very pleasing heft and remarkable resilience, this world-class popular cookware has been essential when cooking biscuits, casseroles, pies etc since 1915. It has seen a widespread use recently as a food packaging material with many benefits. The glassware is actually a chemically inert material, so there is no risk of interaction with food contained in it. It can also be used on all types of food including alkaline and acidic ones. A lot of Pyrex utensils are very much oven-safe, for instance:
- The Pyrex mixing bowls are particularly safe to operate in the oven. They come in different sizes and colours too. They are excellent for mixing food ingredients or simply used for heating preserved food.
- Another great example is measuring jug. Very much oven-safe and has graduated markings to safely measure the number of liquids needed for cooking, also letting you measure your liquids accurately.
- They are a lot of Pyrex utensils you can get your hands on, from glass spoons to brightly-coloured glass bowls and dishes.
If you find yourself in need of Pyrex glass utensils and you are looking for good recommendations that would serve you well, here are the top 3 Pyrex glassware products that are long-lasting which you can purchase:
This can be used as a lunch box, food storage and baking dish. This particular glassware is great for packaging food on the go. Its rectangle shape allows for more volume to carry more food or vegetables. It’s also an excellent baker’s companion, providing more volume for mixture, barter and can even go straight to the oven for baking.
About this item
- Includes (6) 3-cup rectangular dish with white plastic lid made of non-porous glass that won’t chip, stain or absorb odours.
- The glass is dishwasher-, refrigerator-, microwave- and pre-heated oven-safe
- You can nest and stack for easy storage. It is ideal for refrigerator and freezer storage or taking food on the go.
- The lid is BPA free and top-rack dishwasher safe
- This Pyrex glass is made in the USA and comes with a two-year warranty so be sure that you would get good value for your money.
- Package dimensions 11.81 * 7.99 * 5.91 inches
- Item weight 7.88 pounds
Click this link to visit the product page on amazon and see all you need to know about the product and make your order.
This can be used to mix and also bake directly in an oven. This Pyrex bakeware is suitable for all types of baking. The clear glass gives you a clear view of your mixtures before and after you put in the oven. It’s also great for observing your baked foods as it provides a clear view of your baking process.
Pyrex bakeware 2 –quart dish with lid includes 1 each 2-quart dish, 1- each 2-quart glass cover. The Pyrex bakeware is durable, transparent for easy monitoring of baking progress and provides good heat conduction for even, consistent baking. There is no substitute for Pyrex, the original glass bakeware. Introduced 90 years ago and made of durable high-temperature material, Pyrex remains the ideal medium for safe, dependable food preparation.
About this item
- 2- Quart Glass Dish with Glass Lid, value pack of 2
- It is made of non-porous glass that won’t warp, stain, or absorb odours.
- Glass is pre-heated oven-, microwave’, fridge-, freezer- and dishwasher-safe
- The glass bakeware has large ergonomic handles for improved handling.
- This particular Pyrex glass is made in the USA and comes with a 2-year warranty
- Package dimension 17 * 11*8.5 inches
- Item weight 7.52 pounds
The price, complete details and other users’ reviews can be found by clicking this link to the Amazon page. You can also make your order there if it turns out to be something you want.
The various sizes and bowls can be used for storage and preservation of common vegetables and meals. This particular Pyrex provides a wide range of application and uses in the kitchen; from storing food items in the fridge to the packaging of food. The lids provide excellent sealant for your food and items. It is also easy to wash as no residue remains on the glass.
About this item
- An assortment of glass containers to keep your food organized in the fridge or while baking.
- It includes (3) 1- cup round containers with lids; (3) 2-cup round containers with lids; (3) 3-cup rectangular containers with lids and 3 4-cup round containers with lids
- The durable high-quality tempered glass is dishwasher-, freezer-, microwave- and preheated oven-safe
- Its nonporous glass won’t absorb food odours, flavours, or stains.
- It has BPA free secure-fit plastic lids that are freezer-, microwave- and top-rack dishwasher-safe.
- It has got a 2-year limited warranty on the glass and plastic lids.
Want to get this particular Pyrex glassware set? Click this link to be taken to the Amazon page for more details, price and reviews.
This is definitely all you need to know about Pyrex glassware and choosing one for yourself. This would come in very handy whenever you choose to settle for one. If you consider one of the recommendations here, that would even be better as you are sure what you would get are products that are well researched to save you time and also give you good value for the money you will spend.